contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

1976 BMW 2002 Ceylon

Filtering by Category: Garage Updates

A Matter of Mirrors

Classic Velocity

The car had a stock driver’s side mirror with a bad base, and two holes in the passenger side. I did not have a spare passenger side mirror. What to do? After rummaging around, what I did find were some 3.0CS flag mirrors, and a set of Vitaloni mirrors. Since the Vitalonis were black, they fit the look on this “Bitsa” car, so on they went. Of course, the PO had not removed the driver side mirror to paint the car. Why !! It is just 2 screws !! Aaaarrrggh ! Despite the aesthetics, which are par for the course on this car, we can now see out of both sides.

IMG_4566.jpeg

Night Vision

Classic Velocity

One of the concentric circle test loops took place at dusk. It was a deliberate attempt to see how the lighting and the electrical system overall was working under load. The good news is that everything worked except for a dodgy brake light. The headlights look cool with the original warm yellowish glow, but they were not up to the modern expectation for light output. Nor were they up to moderate speeds on dark backroads. Since this car is a “Bitsa” project, I unearthed a set of halogen driving lights from the stash. They even have black stone guards. They are a far cry from the vintage Cibie lights I would like, but they were none of those in the stash. Next step was to locate a switch. No problem there, as the stash produced a stock switch that got mounted in the center console. The cool look of the headlights is now complemented upon request, by some more effective driving lights. 

As a surprise bonus, I found a few items lodged down between the bottom of the radiator, and the bottom of the front valence. They were a 10mm bolt, and a rusty 10mm deep socket !! The socket actually cleaned up nicely and got added to the toolbox.

87FF3DAA-7BE0-46EE-8BC2-A1F9B0990DE7.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Washing and Wiping

Classic Velocity

It is surprising how debilitating it is not to be able to see out the windshield 🤔 !! Since this car is far from original, we decided to forego the expensive stock windshield washer bottle and pump, in favor of a universal one. This in turn caused a re-routing of the wiring and hoses back to the traditional spot on the inside right fender. With that accomplished, the ancient wiper blades were replaced as well. Now we can both wash and wipe..

IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG

Mega Wrenching

Classic Velocity

In a spurt of wrenching over a weekend, a number of areas get attention, and a few areas of need are discovered. The progress on the interior continues with the stereo installed and the rear speakers connected. The fronts will be another story since they are not going back into the doors. The rear parcel shelf involved cutting a new one from Masonite, wrapping it in vinyl, and then cutting the 6x9 holes. This area of the parcel shelf was hacked up by the previous owner, just like the doors, so I used the same crude openings. The flasher switch is discovered to be bad, and it fails in the on position, which may explain why the flasher relay was missing. I decided to do the conversion to the common EL13 relay. Worked like a charm, and with the flasher switch wedged in the off position, I actually had turn signals. With the spliced wires for the previous stereo repaired, a number of other electrical gremlins went away as well. 

The hood release was a zip-tied cable, which I replaced and returned the system to stock operation. The “driver” quality kidney grill that I got from a 2002FAQ member is actually quite nice and really stands out up front. It will take some getting used to a different look for the nose after 5 years. The center console was modded a bit and test fitted. It is awaiting a few things before final assembly. I replaced the passenger side front turn signal assembly with a better one that I had in the parts stash.  A battery tender pigtail, some POR15 underneath the car, cleanup of some rear marker light wiring, and the return of seat belts, completed th work. It doesn’t look any different, but momentum continues....

5643608E-C234-45B3-909D-8A3D07AC2675.JPG
40D6ABDC-0797-4C0A-8C55-E8DEDB715083.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Carpet and Wiring

Classic Velocity

The carpet kit was a molded item from unknown origin. It cost me nothing in money, but plenty in effort and frustration. It was generally the right shape, but specifically off in all the important dimensions. It had no holes, so measuring and punching holes and trying to properly locate the carpet was no fun. In the end, it will require some cuts for relief and reshaping. Then it was on to the  prewiring. New speaker wires were run to front and rear.continuous and switched power was located, and the new head unit harness was completed. Next, a mounting plate for the center console was modified to shift the location slightly....

F9052EB0-8F8C-477A-9586-5CFDBB99717B.JPG
6660D97E-6EF3-494C-A9E2-B7EA77911CE2.JPG
4F583088-4471-4A58-89C2-FAD9D872A3BD.JPG