A very long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I freed the steering lock on the Tii, and left the dash disassembled on the drivers side floor. Since then, the machine has moved twice, and returned to rest, with a pledge to button things back up. Well this week finally provided the opportunity to do just that with some time and moderate temperatures. It di not take long, but it was an example of why you must always document the "before". In this case, the "after" was months later, and memories fade....
1972 BMW 2002 tii
Filtering by Category: Garage Update
A series of moves to get the tii to a new temporary resting spot....It still needs the steering column put back together and the belt trim replaced....
In what can only be described as a stupid garage accident, an item fell against the tii and damaged the belt line trim. Fortunately, the car was covered, so the damage was limited. Regardless, it bent the trim and put a light scratch in the clear coat. The worst part is that a new piece of trim would look out of place, so I am now on the hunt for a good used piece.
We have written about ten dollar disablers in the main blog a few times. Now I have a new entry. The steering lock pin. You Tube and the Internet in general provide hundreds of examples across multiple makes and models, of how to get around the failure of a very small pin or tab or spring that if broken or misaligned, will render your vehicle disabled. In some cases you cannot steer the car as the lock engages when it fails. Pretty dangerous ! In other cases, you cannot turn the key to start the vehicle. In yet other instances, you can do neither.
And so it was that I got to experience the failure. There is often some clue in that the key becomes progressively more difficult to turn. Not in this case. The key was fine one evening, and the next morning it would not budge. I thought it was the cold, and instinctively tried jiggling it a bit. Nothing. Then I suspected the newer key that I was using. I got the original and tried that. In jiggling that key, I engaged the steering lock. Great.
The dismantling of the steering column trim is fairly quick and easy. Lower cardboard panel, lower pad, upper pad, lower metal, and then you can see the small opening that houses the 1mm pin at the bottom of the ignition tumbler cylinder. Drilling out the pin frees the tmbler. They key turned, the lock unlocked, and the car became startable and movable.
One substitue fuel pump from a 5 series, some rubber spacers, and some modified wiring, and the tii is back in business. While the bracket and storage tank were out, I took off 40 years of grime and painted it. Not that anyone will see it, but it looks much better. With everything back in place, the car fired right up and I took it for a short run to get fuel and make sure all was well. No leaks, no issues, good for another 40 years.
Well it had to happen eventually. A component on the infallible tii became fallible. I started it and planned to take a short drive to prepare it for a weekend trip. Then I noticed the problem. In this case, it was the electric fuel pump. The car actually started and ran fine, but while warming up, a puddle developed at the rear, and it became obvious that fuel was leaking from the pump. I am glad I saw this, as the leak was spraying fuel across the undercarriage including right onto the exhaust pipe. I quickly shut it off. I hoped it was a hose, but it was from the pump itself. After 42 years, you cannot really fault the pump, but I am suspicious that sitting for many months along with fuel containing ethanol during the last few years was a contributor. Now for the shocker. A new original pump is around $800 !! They have gone crazy during the last few years while I have not been paying attention. There is no real reason for this, as they are a simple electric pump, but the cars are climbing in value, and so certain components are now ridiculous. Fortunately, there is a common Bosch substitute, and I decide to go that route for now while I seek out an original.
The thing about having a blog, is that it will cause your laziness to be chronicled ;-) The battery woes of late last fall should have been solved right then, but winter set in, and I didn't get around to addressing the issue until it started to look nice enough to drive again. The old dead battery was sitting on the floor all winter, waiting to be exchanged for a new live one. While it was out, I vowed to do some cleanup of the battery tray area and find the battery bracket that I know I have somewhere. Well, I did cleanup the tray and paint it, but I have not located the bracket so it was zip ties to the rescue for now. I did also end up replacing the positive battery terminal, so we are now in good shape for the season. Now I just need to find the bracket, change the oil, change the wheels......