A silly accident damaged the tail light lens and a new one had been sitting in the box for months. The replacement process was pretty straight forward once you master the little wire clips that hold the lens in place.
1958 BMW R60
Finally the rack that has been laying around for months gets installed.....
Although the R60 has been out and about a few times recently, there is something magical about how this machine feels when the air gets crisp. It simply seems to run smoother and accelerate more briskly when you can see your breath. It makes you want to go on an extended tour. On this day, things were limited to a few hours of picturesque fall riding through farm country. Brilliant.
Two bikes got exercise thanks to friend Nacho going along for a nice ride and a coffee stop.
This morning was pretty cool and perfect for the R60. Somehow, the fall weather suits the air-cooled engine and this machine in particular wants to get up to full gallop. I was scraping boots on some corners, and just enjoying a spirited ride. A stop by the cornfields emphasized that the riding season is waning....
Following the re-assembly of the machine, I took it out on the road for a test run. About forty miles in a loop around the garage as per the theory of concentric circles. The bike ran fine. It seems to have a little more vibration at idle, but it feels great at higher RPMs.
It really did take this long to put the R60 back together. There was a conspiracy of missing ordered parts, procrastination, lack of time, other projects, etc. However, I was determined not to be that guy. You know, the one who took a vehicle apart and has made no progress many years later, and yet wont sell because he is gonna fix it up any day now. That guy. In a sudden flurry of activity over a long weekend, the new pistons, rings, and gudgeon pins got installed. The heads went back on, the timing was set, and just like that, the machine was complete again.
With new oil and fresh gas, it fired on the second kick. However, once under load, it ran poorly. Back at the garage, I left it overnight and then re-torqued the heads and reset all of the valves. I also replaced the spark plugs. It took a dozen kicks for it to fire, but once it did it was immediately smoother. Once warm, a quick ride confirmed that it was feeling like its former self. I am taking it easy with new pistons, but barring further problems, the R60 is back !